Founded by Major Robert (Bob) Southey in May 1939, Southey Holdings originally served the mining industry in the then Transvaal in terms of offering much needed protection against corrosion. Major Bob’s godfather was Dr Jamieson who was well known for his involvement in the historic Jamieson Raid.
The original company was bought out in 1965 by Dave Brunt and Don Attwood who oversaw its expansion into KwaZulu-Natal and the Cape. Today Southey Holdings has a national footprint. Thermal insulation and cold room manufacture were then added to the services offered and, over the years, Southey Holdings has been involved in almost every major industrial construction project including mining, petro-chemical, pulp & paper, chemical and power generation.
Whilst retaining its core contracting business, in the 1980s Southey Holdings embarked on a diversification programme, which resulted in a multi-disciplinary group with interests in:
- Insulation, scaffolding and painting services
- Ship repair and ship building
- Polystyrene manufacture
- Temporary accommodation, cold room and refrigeration equipment manufacture
- Heavy vessel manufacture
- Pocket knives, harvesting knives and scaffolding manufacture
- Barrier security manufacture
Furthermore, Southey Holdings has expanded into Africa to service the East Coast oil & gas industry in Tanzania and Mozambique, the West Coast oil industry, the copper industry in Zambia and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), as well as establishing itself in the Middle East (Oman) in 2009.
These major expansions have moved Southey Holdings well beyond its family roots to become a professionally run business owned collectively by management, a private equity investor and a substantial BEE partner.