Our History

Founded by Major Robert (Bob) Southey in May 1939, Southey Holdings originally served the mining industry in the then Transvaal in terms of offering much needed protection against corrosion. Major Bob’s godfather was Dr Jamieson who was well known for his involvement in the historic Jamieson Raid. The original company was bought out in 1965 by Dave Brunt and Don Attwood who oversaw its expansion into KwaZulu-Natal and the Cape. Today Southey Holdings has a national footprint.

Whilst retaining its core contracting business, in the 1980s Southey Holdings embarked on a diversification programme, which resulted in a multi-disciplinary group with interests in insulation, scaffolding and painting services, ship repair and ship building, polystyrene manufacture, prefabricated buildings, cold room and refrigeration equipment manufacture, and heavy vessel manufacture.

Furthermore, the group has undergone a number of changes in management, large capital investments and has spread geographically across South Africa and into Africa.
These major expansions have moved Southey Holdings well beyond its family roots to become a professionally run and long-standing titan of industry.